Access to Infrastructure
Providing access to lab infrastructure is one of CITC’s key capabilities.
The lab is one of the key capabilities of CITC and is a key differentiator for our customers. The lab facilitates our innovation programs but also support the education programs through internships and MSc/PhD programs. Additionally the lab can serve as demo and application lab for new types of equipment and materials. CITC has a Smart Industry Field Lab status, indicating that it is a place where industry and research organizations jointly develop, test and implement smart industry solutions.
In addition to our own lab facilities, CITC has access to lab facilities of our strategic partners TNO and TUD. This includes for instance the facilities of TNO Holst in Eindhoven and the Else Koo Lab (EKL) of the TUD in Delft.
The lab has all the equipment and tooling for the basic packaging assembly technologies. Among others we can do high precision dispensing (glue, solder paste), automated die pick up and die attach, wirebonding and temperature profile curing. The equipment in the lab is selected such that it can be used for investigating the physical aspects of several assembly processes. We have the capabilities to do fast prototyping for proof of principle samples. Next to this, our lab is equipped with sample preparation technologies like plasma cleaning. We also have the equipment to test and evaluate the quality of the assembly process.
Assembly Processes and Technical Capabilities
Dispensing/ glue-solder depositing
- High accuracy 3D position -and volume control dispensing system
- Manual dispensing system
- Manual stencil printer for fast proto typing
- Pick and place with high positioning accuracy (7µm @ 3 sigma), to be extended to 0,5 µm in Q3 this year
- Precise controlled bondforce ranging between 15 to 800 gf (to be extended to 1000 kgf in Q3 this year)
- Eutectic bonding under shielding gas (N2, forming gas)
- Flip chip bonding
- Pick & place from waffle tray
- Flexible workholder to handle large spectrum of different substrates and packages
- Deep access fine wire wedge/wedge bonder for 18-75 µm Al and Au wire
- Ball/wedge bonder for 18 – 50 µm Au wire, available in Q3
- Die shear tester, ranging up to 200 kgf
- Wire pull tester up to 100 gf
- Temperature cycling chamber (-70 to +180°C, max 20K/min)
Surface cleaning/ sample preparation
- Bench top plasma cleaner, suitable for a wide variety of plasma cleaning, surface activation and adhesion improvement multiple gasses, a.o. O2, Ar, H, He and fluorinated gasses
- Ultrasonic bath cleaner
Rapid pcb prototyping
- Easy transformation of electronic design to prototype pcb
- Single or double layer pcb, max. 128 x 105 mm